How to move a WordPress blog to a new host
There are many different ways to go about when moving your wordpress installation to a new host. How to to it depends on a set of different factors. There is however a method that is both simple and yet applicable to all situations; for moving from a local installation, for moving to a new WordPress hosting provider, for moving to a new domain and so forth.
Follow these simple steps to change to a new hosting provider
- Dowload all the files using an FTP software like for example FileZilla (If you are moving a local WordPress installation you can disregard this first step.)
- Goto your current hosting providers cPanel for your account, navigate to phpMyAdmin locate the database for your blog and export it.
- Upload all files to your new directory
- Create a new database in your new hosting cPanel and import your old database into it
- Change details in wp-config.php to fit your new domain and database properties
- Goto to phpMyAdmin and run the following scripts to update the database with your new domain details:
Query To Update WordPress Settings
UPDATE wp_options SET option_value = replace(option_value, ‘http://www.old-url.com’, ‘http://www.new-url.com’) WHERE option_name = ‘home’ OR option_name = ‘siteurl’;
Query To Update Permalinks
UPDATE wp_posts SET guid = replace(guid, ‘http://www.old-url.com’,'http://www.new-url.com’);
Query to Update Any Links Embedded In Content
UPDATE wp_posts SET post_content = replace(post_content, ‘http://www.old-url.com’, ‘http://www.new-url.com’);
Don´t forget to replace old-url.com/new-url.com with your own data!